The Reuben Brothers are owners of Global Switch, the leading owner, operator and developer of large-scale, multi-tenanted, carrier and cloud neutral, data centre properties in Europe and Asia-Pacific.
Established in 1998, the company has held an unrivalled track record in delivering best-in-class data centre solutions. The data centres are exclusively located in Tier 1 markets, which are key business and connectivity hubs, close to central business districts. Global Switch is a strategic partner for customers that require data centre capacity with redundant 24x7x365 power and cooling, high levels of connectivity, security and sophisticated infrastructure and environmental monitoring to house their computer servers, network equipment and IT infrastructure. Global Switch’s customers are global to national, large and small including government organisations, financial institutions, enterprises, cloud service providers, global systems integrators, telecommunication carriers, managed service providers and other hosting businesses.
In 2014, Global Switch received from Fitch an upgrade to its credit rating to BBB+ from BBB. Moody’s also upgraded its long term issuer rating for Global Switch to Baa2 from Baa3. Standard & Poor’s maintained its credit rating at BBB, but revised its liquidity rating up two levels from ‘adequate’ to ‘strong’. These rating upgrades mean that Global Switch is now the highest credit rated data centre company in the world.
At a Glance:
- Ten world class data centres in key markets: seven are located in Europe – in London (two), Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris (two) and Madrid – with data centres in Sydney(two) and Singapore serving the Asia-Pacific market
- Six new data centres planned (with two having completed Phase 1 construction), five in existing locations and one in a new location (Hong Kong)
- 3.2m sq ft (300,000 sq m) of gross area across the portfolio
- All data centres are owned or on long term leases
- Investment grade credit ratings received from Fitch, Moody’s and Standard & Poor’s
- Unrivalled power with multiple layers of redundancy
- Network dense, low latency environments
- State of the art security and monitoring systems in place 24x7x365
- Data centres are operated to a Tier III+ standard
- Better than 99.999% historical uptime reliability across the portfolio
- Customer base includes many of the world’s leading companies, diversified by both industry and geography
- Strong management team with significant industry experience
- Best-in-class operating procedures and practices, including ISO 9001, 14001, 18001 and 27001 certifications for all data centres
The data centre industry has experienced significant growth in recent years and continues to experience considerable demand for space due to a number of factors including: the growth of the internet, rising numbers of users who are expecting more on demand information and richer content, the increase of cloud computing technology, the continued growth of outsourcing, and the on-going introduction of regulation and legislation around the storage of data.
Global Switch is part way through a significant global expansion plan with the scope to double the aggregate power capacity available across the portfolio. Following completion of the first stage of a planned major expansion to its Amsterdam data centre in January 2014, the first stage of the new Tier III+ Sydney East data centre was launched in August 2014. Further developments are also underway in both existing and new markets including:
Global Switch is planning to expand its existing Amsterdam data centre by a further 28,000 sq m (300,000 sq ft) which will increase the overall size to 69,000 sq m (740,000 sq ft) with 100MVA of utility power supply capacity. Stage 1 of the 29,600 sq m planned expansion became operational in early 2014.
Global Switch has acquired a site on the Tseung Kwan O (TKO) Industrial Estate in Hong Kong to build a Tier III+ data centre which marks the company’s entry to the Hong Kong market. Once built the data centre will offer 45,000 sq m (475,000 sq ft) gross space with 100MVA of utility power. The world class data centre will be designed to best-in-class environmental credentials targeting a LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold Rating and a Hong Kong Green Building Council’s BEAM Plus Platinum rating.
With full planning approval, Global Switch is in the final detailed design phase to build a best-in-class fully-fitted data centre in Singapore. The 25,000 sq m (270,000 sq ft) new data centre will be located in Woodlands, a suburb in the northern part of Singapore, approximately 15km from the existing 26,500 sq m (285,000 sq ft) Global Switch data centre in Tai Seng Avenue. The new data centre will have access to two independent utility HV power feeds and will be a leading example of an environmentally sustainable data centre.
Global Switch launched Stage 1 of its second data centre (Sydney East) adjacent to Global Switch’s existing data centre (Sydney West) in 2014. Stage 1 of the data centre received a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Gold rating. The same leading environmental design concepts and construction standards used in the first stage will be applied to the final two stages (currently under construction). Once the final two stages of Sydney East have been completed, the Campus will provide around 73,000 sq m (780,000 sq ft) of gross space.
Click here to visit website www.globalswitch.com